How to recruit the best staff?
Any conscious entrepreneur understands well that, first of all, you need to hire only the best for your business. For this, you need to choose the right staff. First of all, formulate for yourself the goals and tasks that the candidate will complete. Write down clear objectives and formulate specific KPIs.
Here are some hiring tips from Lasko Bock, Google’s VP of Recruiting and Human Resources.
- The Google company uses the internal tool qDroid, it selects questions from the position for which the employee is interviewed. There are two types of such questions: behavioral – about lived experience, and situational – about hypothetical scenarios.
- The side does not support unstructured interviews, when they ask questions like: “What clothes did you wear last New Year?”. He cites research that shows clear interviews with job-specific questions provide a better understanding of a candidate’s performance.
•After the interview, a group of disinterested individuals look at the full report and decide whether to hire the person or not. This allows us to understand that the recruiting process did not depend on the prejudices of the interviewer and its result is completely without any benefit.These are Google experiences that you can, of course, take to your company for hiring. But we want to share the techniques of this important process and give some advice.
- Let’s start with the fact that it is important for you to specifically determine who you need: write down the duties and according to the skills and abilities of the candidate. Register relevant hard&soft skills. Hard skills – skills that relate to specific tasks required by the vacancy; Soft skills – personal qualities of an employee, i.e. character, etc.
Sometimes a candidate can be a great professional, but due to his personal values, he cannot “fit” into a team created for a certain period of time. And this will affect the general condition and, accordingly, the work of other employees.
You also need to determine for yourself what bad moments you can “forgive” the candidate. For example, you want your employee to be in the office every day from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., but he comes to you for an interview with the maximum level of all professional skills, but he may not be in the office every day. Determine that you will not find a 100% good person.
•Pay. If you plan to close the salary based on the candidate’s experience, then specify the “salary level” – from the minimum to the maximum. Because your potential employee needs to understand why he will spend his time doing the test.
• Determine the number of stages of hiring an employee. You must determine all points of passage to the vacancy:
- Summary – a general introduction to the person.
- Test task. To test two key skills. Make sure that your test does not take more than 4 hours, because then the candidate has to be paid for it. Thus, at this stage you will have “weeded out” the majority.
- Interview/interview. The main task of the interview is to find out whether the person suits you and whether you suit him, check hard and soft skills. Before the interview, you need to understand exactly what questions you will ask the candidates. To get a complete picture of the candidate, first ask general questions and then move on to personal ones. Don’t immediately ask how the person sets up their sales funnels. Discuss the entire workflow.
Trial period. It is necessary to determine how the candidate performs the task in real working conditions. This is a collaborative test drive that benefits everyone. Sometimes, after such an experience, the candidate Practice shows that only half of the candidates pass the probationary period.
Determine on which resources or with whom you will monitor your future candidate. If this is a narrowly focused direction, then there is no need to post a vacancy on Instagram or on one general job search site. In this case, you should rather find candidates yourself on sites such as Linkedin and involve specialists, recruiting companies that will help in the search. If it is, for example, a personal assistant without special skills and abilities, then an “internal search” among acquaintances can come in handy.
It is difficult to find “yours” among hundreds of candidates. Consider how you will test the necessary competencies at each stage. The faster candidates go through all stages of recruitment, the more chances you have to attract the ideal specialist to your team.
If you drag out the hiring process, the potential candidate may receive an offer from another company. First, set clear requirements for your candidate. An ideal team – the success of your business!